Other Ways to Speed Recovery after Exercise
1. Rest. Never underestimate the power of rest. Dr. Karen has that written on her dry erase board. I see it once a week when I go in for shoulder work. For athletes, sometimes doing nothing is hard to do--but can be the easiest way to speed recovery.
2. Stretch. Use a foam roller. I got mine from Soft Tissue Solutions in Farmington Hills.
3. Massage. Improve circulation. I recommend Tri-covery Massage & Fitness in Novi for sports massage. Ask for Jeff. Mention "Support JD" and $30 will be donated towards my upcoming English Channel swim.
4. Sleep and listen to your body. If you're feeling tired and sore, it's okay to go to sleep early.
5. Refuel. After today's hard swim, I had a turkey sandwich with cole slaw and glass of milk. Replace your fluids during your workout and try to refuel with a mix of protein and carbs within 45 min. post-workout.